Friday, April 3, 2009

The Loss of Identity with Sobriety

As some of you know I am choosing to become sober of alcohol and other substances. This mainly is because of my abuse of them. I am 21 days sober, and it has been very strange to me. I used the word strange, because I don't know what 21 year old's do for fun without alcohol. What I saw as fun was going out and getting drunk with friends towards the end of the week. Now don't get me wrong I loved doing this, and I had some very good times with the bottle, but it was taking my life and putting it in a blender.

What I am feeling now after 21 days without a drink is my loss of social identity. What do I do without drinking? The first weekend back from spring break starts tonight, and the only thing I can think of that doesn't involve drinking is watching a movie. This might be a normal thing for someone who doesn't go out on weekends, but it's the only thing I have resorted to not just at nights, but all day. Being sober has made me realize I have no life, and it's scary. Drinking halted many of my hobbies that I had as a teenager. My hobbies now include drinking from 1pm til 5 am.

I feel healthy which is the most important thing, and all of you guys have been very supportive which makes it a whole lot easier. Having to deal with the constant pressure of people trying to get me to drink, or thinking my sobriety is a joke would have made this a whole lot harder. Thank you.

/press release

-Rahb formerly known as Ricky

6 comments:

Spuddude said...

I heard crocheting was popular with those who didn't drink. Monty can lend you your first needles and yarn.

Monty said...

I don't know anything about this.

Honefone said...

Drink Kombucha

Megz said...

i'll go on bike rides with you...hellsa fun

Anonymous said...

Its because you go to a school like oregon where thats all people do is get drunk and fucked up at night

Monty said...

Rob doesn't go to Oregon.