Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's That Time of the Year Again


Christmas.

My childhood appreciation for this wonderful holiday has been jaded by working retail. I see first hand how much this holiday has been tainted by consumerism. People just looking for that good buy.

The Best Buy where I work, made a million dollars in one day. One million dollars.

Oregon is in the top 10 for unemployment rates at 11.3 percent, yet people apply for credit they can't pay back. I check peoples credit everyday when activating cell phones and deposits for a cell phone plan can get as high as 1,200 dollars. This means their credit score can be as low as 300. That is scary, I would probably kill myself if my credit was that low.

Best Buy doesn't let its employees request time off from November 20th to Jan 20th. I am flying home for Christmas on Christmas at 10am, and returning on December 26th at 10am. What the fuck.

It almost doesn't seem worth it to me. When I asked my boss for 5 days off during the week of Christmas he asked me, "What do you think the busiest day of the year is?" I said, "Black Friday." Then he asked me, "What do you think the second busiest day of the year is?" I said, "Christmas Eve." He asked, "What do you think the third busiest day of the year is?" I replied, "Day after Christmas." Boss says, "So then no, you can't."

What a dick! He couldn't be sympathetic to the fact I haven't seen my parents during the holidays for 2 years? He had to ask me a series of sarcastic questions. I'm fucking pissed.

Anyway I'm done ranting. I've kept it inside for awhile. This time of year just always puts me in a bad mood. Thanks for listening.

-Rahb

3 comments:

Monty said...

Why don't you quit guy? Sounds like Best Buy is ruining your life this holiday season.

216 Loko said...

preach it preacha man. get er outta here!!!

C-WORD said...

i'm sorry robbie.. that sucks but at least your here now watching arrested drinking cider with us !